i made these orange juice lego gummies yesterday to bring in for Loi's valentines day party at school. see, i used the lego molds after this to make chocolates for his valentines he's going to pass out today...post to follow... so, i figured they would tie into his "we click together" theme he (i) had going on. i had found the molds online last year and went cray cray with them for the lego birthday party he had last year. hmm, also...post to follow...
anyhoo, the recipe i used yesterday for these is suuuper easy, fast and you probz have everything you need in your kitchen right now. ingredients...orange juice and gelatin. i used grass fed gelatin, but normal gelatin packets are easily found at any grocery store. now, the recipe is from a super cute book from 1964 called Sugar Free Toddlers. i only used this one, because, as i said, i had all the ingredients here. had i not been sick as a dog all week, i would have gone to buy lemons and used the second recipe i will list down yonder. they are my fave. my son loved these oj ones...so, in a pinch, here yar:
cook time: 5 mins
3 cups fruit juice
5 packets unflavored gelatin powder
in a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of juice with the gelatin powder. bring 1 cup of juice to a boil, then stir in the gelatin mixed juice. add remaining cup of juice and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. pour into molds or into an 8 x 8 pan and chill until set. if you use a pan, you can cut out shapes with a cookie cutter.
one word of advice: pick a simple mold! these legos were hard to pop out perfectly. the dots at the top were giving me a run for my money (seriously, what does that even mean? c'mon quotes! make more sense sometimes!). pick a solid form that'll pop out easy.
prep time: 5 minutes
total time: 5 minutes
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp lemon juice (not from concentrate)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 full dropper of berry stevia drops
- 1-2 drops lemon or orange doTerra essential oil or extract (optional)
- 1-2 drops natural food coloring (optional)
- 1/4 cup grass-fed gelatin
- in a small saucepan over low heat, whisk together honey, lemon juice, stevia drops, lemon extract and food coloring(optional).
- add in gelatin and continue to whisk constantly until smooth and there are no lumps.
- transfer into a liquid measuring cup to easily pour into your molds.
- place in fridge or freezer to let gelatin set for a a while before removing from molds.
store in an airtight container, will stay firm at room temperature. if there's any left after a few days (nom nom), refrigerate for up to two weeks.
Coconut • Watermelon • Cola • Lemon Drop • Valencia Orange • Berry
Chocolate Raspberry • English Toffee • Vanilla Crème • Hazelnut • Peppermint • Root Beer
Grape • Apricot Nectar • Chocolate • Cinnamon