i never liked them when i was a child. gave them away or traded them when i'd get them in my bag of halloween loot. but when i ran across this recipe a couple years ago, i thought i'd try it out. in love. you seriously will not believe how much (better) they taste like the real dealio. cray cray.
Makes 22-24 pieces of candy
- 1/2 cup honey
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/4 cup instant non-fat dry milk powder
- Wax paper
- in a large bowl, combine honey, cocoa powder and vanilla using a whisk. add the melted butter and mix it up while you dance around the kitchen singing really loudly and slightly off key. add in the powdered sugar and pinch of salt; whisk again until well combined.
- using a wooden spoon, mix in the instant milk powder ¼ cup at a time until a dough forms. when you can no longer stir the mixture with a spoon, knead it with your hands. keep adding in milk powder until a firm dough forms. you may not have to use all the milk powder. the finished dough should be firm and a little sticky but not so sticky that you can’t handle it. roll the dough into a ball and place on waxed paper lightly sprayed with cooking oil. let dough rest uncovered on the wax paper for 5-10 minutes. as the candy stands it will relax from a ball shape into a disc. cut candy into ¾-inch strips and then into 2-inch lengths. if candy sticks to the knife, coat it with butter or oil.
- cut wax paper into 3 ½ x 5 inch pieces. wrap candies with the wax paper pieces and roll out the strips into tube shapes. store candies in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. bring to room temperature before serving.